The Khan Academy videos on a Raspberry Pi
A Plug and Play, Simple, server solution to play the Khan Academy videos where no Internet access is available, from a green, low-power, small Raspberry Pi computer.
EASY: Just download the KA-Pi card image, burn it to a 16 GB SD card, plug the SD card in your Raspberry Pi, and you are all set.
The SD card includes the operating system, a web server and the Khan Academy content, all preconfigured and ready to run.
Available as well a Spanish version, KA-Pi en Español, including almost 3,000 selected Khan Academy video lectures in Spanish on Math and Science.
Plug the KA Pi to a local network (like in a school or community center), or to a small wireless router, and any device (PCs, Macs, laptops, iPads, iPhones, Android tables & phones, etc. ) that can connect to the network (wirelessly or wired) will be browsing and playing the Khan Academy lectures in no time.
You can even use the same KA-Pi to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot! Read the step by step How-To guide (or the How-To-Spanish for the Spanish videos server.
Now with the latest August 2013 version put together by Jonathan Field, beautifully organized from the ground up in a very user-friendly format. The best looking Khan Academy on a Stick collection ever!
The actual Khan Academy content from "Khan Academy on a Stick", with its mp4 encoded videos (H.264 + AAC), guarantees that it will play not just in modern browsers but also on mobile devices like iPads, iPhones and hundreds of Android devices. No Flash required.
What is Khan Academy?
Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org) is a world-class and award-winning online library created by Salman Khan, which contains thousands of very high quality video lectures available for free to any Internet user.
Why would people need a "KA-Pi" (Khan Academy on a Pi)?
- The original Khan Academy videos are hosted online in YouTube, and are available for free to anyone, anywhere; as long as you have an active Internet connection.
- Unfortunately in the world there are still large number of regions and communities with no Internet access at all, or in many other cases if they have Internet connectivity the available bandwidth is unusable for most practical purposes, much less to download videos.
- Or Internet connectivity is too expensive.
- Or a school or community has good Internet connectivity but for some reason access to YouTube is blocked.
- This Raspberry Pi hardware and this KA-Pi server distribution provides a very affordable, very compact, low-power server platform, which is very convenient to transport, ship, setup and maintain on on-the-ground deployments
What content is on a "KA Pi" distribution?
- This version contains Math and Science lectures from khanacademy.org .
- It includes the following Khan Academy playlists, from "Khan Academy on a Stick":
- Differential Equations
- Organic Chemistry
- Cosmology and Astronomy
- Healthcare and medicine
- You can see a live online sample of the content at ko.mujica.org
What is included in "KA-Pi en Español"?
- This version contains the following Math and Science lectures in Spanish, from khanacademy.org:
- Ecuaciones Diferenciales
- Química Orgánica
- Cosmología y astronomía
- Salud y Medicina
- You can see a live online sample of the content in Spanish at khan-esp.mujica.org
How do I get and use KA Pi?
Very easy. Just follow the instructions and step by step examples in the HOW-TO page.
, or Spanish HOW-TO page
for the KA-Pi en Español.
Who did and maintains KA Pi?
Read about this and more in the About page.
Is this offline distribution of Khan Academy content under any license?
Yes. Please read the details in the About page.